Thursday, August 4, 2011

good music for the soul - Veitnam?? NAH !!!!!!

Is it too much to ask? everywhere in the world, there should be a TC.
For those who do not know what I mean - TC aka Turquoise cottage is a very well known rock bar in New Delhi, India. That was where my life began and ended...That was where I met all my friends...Hell, that was where I met my husband...
Here in Hanoi, which is like a village compared to Delhi, its obviously too much to ask for. People go out here, sit by the lakes, eat bun Cha and pho and if they really want to party, go to karaoke. Or to the countless clubs here which continuously dish out vapid soulless music.
The only half decent bar is the Irish wolfhound( lets face it - The Irish rarely disappoint) but even that is not a full out rock pub.

AND - let me admit it now, once and for all - I HATE KARAOKE.

EVEN if its rock, Even if its by my good friends.

I hate any kind of live music in bars.
Let me clarify - I love live music per se...I would love to go to concerts...Going to a Linkin park concert is my dream. But I cannot stand even the rock bands that come and perform in bars. They may be good but nothing beats the real thing.

I want a place, a real place, not youtube, where I can listen to great music. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against other genres - I like hip hop, trance, sometimes even Damien Rice. But I cannot stand this utter disregard for music in bars and pubs. I am not built that way. For me to enjoy myself and get high and have a great time, I need a pub atmosphere, cool people who understand music, not wannabes, good beer and some Linkin park. Not too much to ask for...right?
Wrong.
its next to impossible here in Hanoi.
If there is anything I miss about Delhi - its not my family, not the food, friends. I miss my watering hole, my music haven, the most.
The thought is pretty disturbing.
But thats what it is.

1 comment: