Monday, May 30, 2011

UP YOURS!!!!!!!!!



I AM PISSED!!!so pissed...I did not ask for this opportunity to come knocking on my door and when it did, I was pleasantly surprised. Then I got the rude jolt - I am in a communist country, also a racist country which believes all that Arirang TV tells them(a very popular Korean TV channel which the Viets watch and take all as the gospel truth). Apparently I was not white...obviously....or my accent was too Indian...I do not have an Indian accent - a more global accent is how I would describe it, but if they had told me before, i would have put on a fake horrible American Accent...I am proud of the fact that I am Indian and I just cannot take this discrimination any more.I have made fun of Indians who come suddenly to a foreign country and no one can understand their English...but seriously, I never expected to be bracketed in the same category.

Ok...let me tell you from the beginning...I got a call from the local TV news station wondering if I would be interested in hosting an expat show regarding what else...the expat population in Vietnam.This would also include travel, since it focuses on all the expats in entire Vietnam...and I was super excited...albeit just for the chance to meet new people and travel on someone else's expense.
I was required to give my PTC - piece to camera to check whether I am camera friendly, which I did with full confidence - I had done this before.
Now, after a week of waiting, I get the 'sorry' message from my to be producer - who loved me btw, that his director 'likes your natural way of presenting and your confidence but unfortunately, she doesn't like your accent :( I tried to persuade her that accent should not be a problem to shows like this but she didn't seem to change her opinion.'

Now what am I to make of this? It is an expat show hosted by an expat...I know for a fact that I was clear and that people could understand me. If I was a white girl with an American accent, I guess they would have jumped on the bandwagon without even a PTC.

As said before, I am PISSED!!! more at loosing a good opportunity or the fact that I am being discriminated against...I do not know but this is plain unfair!!!! Plus, Ro told me that I would never get this, and I kept arguing that I had done a good job...bah!!!!
Now I have to eat humble pie at home....Yeah..this is the part I am most pissed at!



No comments:

Post a Comment