Friday, May 27, 2011

AND I HEARD THE SCREAM OF A BUTTERFLY




Journey to Hoi an and central parts of Vietnam

This was going to be our first big trip after transferring to Hanoi from Beijing and I was frankly a bit terrified. I did not know what was in store for us and what kind of weather would greet us in the beach towns of Danang and Hoi an.
As always, we did everything last minute and ended up with horrible train tickets - 6 berths in one cramped room...no wonder I was not looking forward. Thankfully we planned to get off whenever we wanted and that was a small relief. The train went all the way to Nha trang and we had no plans to go that far...just wanted to buy the tickets till there I guess...yeah...tell me about it!!

the journey was not bad - for me - I had the bottom berth and Ro had to give up his for 2 very old people who joined us in our cramped space. SW was absolutely thrilled and would not sit still for even a minute...I dont blame her, I remember my train journeys when I was a kid...i wonder how my parents coped with me - I was a hyper active kid and I was threatened all the time with a huge injection up my ass to put me to sleep...Now that I think about it, it sounds strangely perverse.Anyway, we ended up having a blast with the old couple and their grandson.

SW with her new friends...

We hopped off the next day at Danang - at 12:00 pm and went straight to the beach - Mykhe. And as anticipated, it was raining. We ducked into the first big seafood restaurant we could see and ate as if there was no tomorrow. And the Bill -50 USD, which is huge anywhere in Vietnam...but we were on holiday mode and it did not deter us in the least that we had blown our budget to bits...(have Jumbo Shrimp if you ever go to Danang - the best ever)

It was still pouring - tell me about it - we decide to go straight to Hoian and stay there for a few days. it took us 1 hour and we arrived at the Venice of Vietnam. The town was full of canals and had the sea coming into the town in places mixing with fresh water. The place was out of this world. We had found our parking spot for the next few days.

Decadence was the word - eat, drink cheap locally made fresh beer and lay around all day...what else could we ask for. One of the cafes was Dream Cafe - and the walls were just covered with grafitti - and some doped out traveller had posted - ' and i heard the scream of a butterfly' - and I was transfixed. This is what I travel for, these weird, insane, and totally amazing things that I usually am lucky enough to see.

and as he says...buy a guitar, not a gun!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment